DEPARTMENT OF CATALYTIC OXIDATIVE-REDUCTIVE PROCESSES
The Head of Department- Orlyk Svitlana M.
Doctor of Chemical Science, Professor, Corresponding Member of NAS of Ukraine
The department was established in October 2000; 2 doctors of sciences and 5 candidates of sciences – followers of well-known Ukrainian school of catalysis of the academician of NAS of Ukraine V.A.Roiter (corresponding member of NAS of Ukraine V.M.Vlasenko, prof. G.P.Korniychuk, prof. V.Ya.Vol’fson, prof. V.M.Belousov) are employees of the department.
The basic directions of research
Development of fundamental bases of designing novel redox processes of environmental catalysis and hydrogen energy.
Development of scientific bases of structurally-functional design of catalysts for decontamination of technogenic gas exhausts of mobile and stationary sources (CO, NOx, CnHm, Î3), catalytic burning of hydrocarbon fuel, transformation of “greenhouse” gases (ÑÎ2, ÑÍ4, N2O).
Kinetics and mechanism of redox reactions involving oxides of carbon, nitrogen, sulphur, hydrocarbons, oxygenates.
The most important results for the last years
The employees of the Department developed:
- A concept concerning combined influence of redox and acid-base properties of catalysts in redox-transformations of nitrogen (², ²²) oxides and methane;
- Two-level technology of purification of exhaust gases of internal combustion engines which includes:
soot filters from synthetic cordierite of honeycomb structure with catalytic coverings in the form of multiple oxides of copper, chrome, cobalt supported on alumina;
efficient catalysts of three-way transformations (ÑÎ/ÑnHm/NOx) - (Pd, Pt, Rh)-REEO (La, Ce)/γ α-Al2O3/cordierite;
- Processes of selective reduction of nitrogen (², ²²) oxides (SCR) on the structured catalysts by reductants of the various chemical nature – ammonia (vanadium-titanum and oxide catalysts of a multiple composition (Cu, Fe, Cr/Al2O3)); Ñ1-Ñ4-hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide (CoO/(ÍZSM5-Al2O3)/cordierite, CoO/ZrO2/kaolin-aerosil,
Pd/Ñî3Î4-CeO2/cordierite) for purification of exhausts of nitrous gases, industrial heat units (thermoelectric plants, thermal power stations), gas turbine and diesel generator installations from nitrogen oxides;
- Process of flameless catalytic burning (total oxidation) of hydrocarbon fuel (natural gas) on multiple oxide catalysts of spinel structure: /(Mn, La, Sr, Ba)/χ,γ-Al2O3, ÌåIIFeIII2O4 (Me=Mn, Co, Ni)/, formed on the surface of structured supports, in particular MnxÎy/ZrÎ2/kaolin-aerosil, for catalytic heat generators (CHG), combustion chambers of gas turbines.
Processes of hydrogen energy were developed:
The combined reforming (oxi-steam conversion) of natural gas (methane and its Ñ2-Ñ4 homologues) on the structured nickel-aluminium oxide catalysts modified with rare earth element oxides (REEO);
For the first time (in Europe and the CIS countries) realized is a process of tri-reforming of methane (ÒRÌ) – synergistic combination of steam and carbon dioxide reforming with partial oxidation of methane) over structured Ni/(CeO2, La2O3)/Al2O3/cordierite catalysts providing stable proceeding of ÒRÌ with high ÑÍ4 and ÑÎ2 conversions as well as controlled H2/CO (1,4÷2,5) relation in synthesis gas under thermoneutral mode;
Processes of oxidative transformations of natural gas (TÎÌ, POM, SCÌ, ÎSCÌ, CO2-CÌ, ÒRÌ) on prototypes of anode materials for solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC) – oxide composites, doped with platinum group metals, based on the stabilized dioxide of zirconium
Processes of methanol reforming – decomposition, oxygen and steam conversion, the combined steam-oxygen conversion – on structured metal oxide catalysts Cu-ZnO-MxOy/Al2O3/cordierite (M: Ce, Cr, Ni) providing hydrogen yields of 75-90%, →100%.
Awards of employees of Department:
S.N.Orlik and S.O.Soloviev (as members of a group of authors) are awarded by State Award of Ukraine in the field of Technics and Science for a cycle of works “Adsorbed lays on a surface of transition metals: structure, electron processes, friction, kinetics of formation, catalysis” (2008).
The award of the President of Ukraine for young scientists for T.V.Mironiuk, M.R.Kantserova, O.V.Mohnachuk's work „Structurally-functional design of novel catalysts of neutralization of technogenic gas exhausts and catalytic burning of fuels” (2007).
The department co-operates with Université Pierre et Marie Curie Pierre (Paris, France) on design of novel catalysts for redox processes involving NOx, CnHm, CnHmOl and scholarship of young scientists (starting from 2012);
I.M.Frantsevich Institute for Problems of Materials of NÀSU on developing block supports of honeycomb structure for catalysts, prototypes of anode materials for SOFCs;
G.K.Boreskov Institute of catalysis of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences on hydrogen energy processes.
Joint Ukrainian-Indian project with University of Dibruharh, state Assam, India (2008-2010). J
Joint project „Development of catalysts for purification of automotive gas exhausts with the reduced loadings of platinum metals for cars manufactured in PRC” with Changchun University of Science and Technology, Changchun, the People Republic of China (2006-2008).
Scientific employees of the Department
Soloviev Sergiy Olexandrovych, doctor of chemical sciences; L.V.Pisarzhevskii Insitute of Physical Chemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine,03028 Êyiv, Prosp. Nauky, 31. Tel. +38(044) 525-6670; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kapran Andriy Yuriyovych, candidate of chemical sciences; L.V.Pisarzhevskii Insitute of Physical Chemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 03028 Êyiv, Prosp. Nauky, 31. Tel. +38(044) 5256222; E-mail: email@example.com
Kantserova Maryna Rashydivna, candidate of chemical sciences; L.V.Pisarzhevskii Insitute of Physical Chemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 03028 Êyiv, Prosp. Nauky, 31. Tel.+38 (044) 5256775; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Boichuk Tetiana Mychaylivna, candidate of chemical sciences; L.V.Pisarzhevskii Insitute of Physical Chemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 03028 Êyiv, Prosp. Nauky, 31. Tel. +38 (044) 5256776; E-mail: email@example.com
Kyriienko Pavlo Ivanovych, candidate of chemical sciences; L.V.Pisarzhevskii Insitute of Physical Chemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 03028 Êyiv, Prosp. Nauky, 31. Tel. +38 (044) 5256222; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected papers of the Department
- Orlik S. N., Mironyuk T. V., Boichuk T. M. Structural functional design of catalysts for conversion of nitrogen(I, II) oxides. // Theor. Experim. Chem. – 2012. – 48, ¹ 2. – P. 73-97. (Translated from Teoreticheskaya i Éksperimental’naya Khimiya, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 67-87, March-April, 2012.)
- Solov’ev S. A., Gubareni Ye. V., Kurilets Ya. P., Orlik S. N., Tri-reforming of methane on structured Ni-containing catalysts. // Theor. Experim. Chem. – 2012. – 48, ¹ 3. – P. 199-205. (Translated from Teoreticheskaya i Éksperimental’naya Khimiya, Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 184-190, May-June, 2012.)
- Soloviev S.O., Kyriienko P.I., Popovych N.O. Effect of CeO2 and Al2O3 on the activity of Pd/Co3O4/cordierite catalyst in the three-way catalysis reactions (CO/NO/CnHm). J. Environ. Sci. – 2012. - 24(7). - P. 1327–1333.
Orlyk S.M., Soloviev S.O. Palladium in Gas-Phase Processes of Environmental Catalysis in "Palladium: Compounds, Production and Applications", Series: Material Science and Technology (Ed. Kenneth M.Brady), p.57-103, Nova Science Publishers, 2011, 356 p.
- Soloviev S. O., Kapran A. Yu., Orlyk S. N., Gubareni E.V. Carbon dioxide reforming of methane on monolithic Ni/Al2O3-based catalysts. // J. Natural Gas Chem. – 2011. – 20(2). – P. 184–190.
- Kapran A.Yu., Soloviev S.O., Orlyk S.N. Decomposition and partial oxidation of methanol over metal oxide Cu-Zn-Ce-based monoliths. // Reac. Kinet. Mech. Cat. - 2010. – 101(2). – P. 343 - 353.
- Shashkova T.K., Kantserova M.R., Chedryk V.I.,
Vasylyev O.D., Orlyk S.N. Methane Oxidative Conversion over the Composites of Y- and Sc-stabilized Zirconia Based. // Polish J. Chem. – 2008. – 82(2). - P.371-376.
- Kantserova M. R., Orlik S. N. Effect of a structure-size factor on the catalytic properties of complex oxide compositions in the reaction of deep methane oxidation // Kinet. Catal.- 2007. - 48(3).- P. 414-429. (Original Russian Text © M.R. Kantserova, S.N. Orlik, 2007, published in Kinetika i Kataliz, 2007, Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 438–453.)
- Mokhnachuk O.V., Soloviev S.O., Kapran A.Yu. Effect of rare-earth element oxides (La2O3, Ce2O3) on the structural and physico-chemical characteristics of Pd/Al2O3-monolithic catalysts of nitrogen oxide reduction by methane. // Catal. Today.- 2007.- 119.- P.145-151.
- Mironyuk T.V., Orlyk S. N. Effect of rhodium on the properties of bifunctional MxOy/ZrO2 catalysts in the reduction of nitrogen oxides by hydrocarbons. // Appl. Catal. B: Environ.- 2007.- 70(1-4).- P.58-64.
Developments representing a potential interest for customers and cooperation
1. Block (monolithic) catalysts of honeycomb structure for purification of industrial and automotive gas exhausts from CO, NOx, CnHm:
- purification of gas emissions – products of burning of natural gas from toxic impurities of CO, NOx, CnHm, with subsequent use of carbon dioxide from gas exhausts for feeding plants of the closed ground;
- removal of nitrogen oxides from gas emissions of steam and water warming coppers, gas turbines, other units by method of selective catalytic reduction with ammonia and hydrocarbons in an oxidative atmosphere;
- purification of exhausts of diesel-electric units and internal combustion engines from CO, NOx, CnHm;
- decontamination of gas exhausts of nitric acid manufacturing from nitrogen oxides by high-temperature reduction with methane; selective reduction with ammonia;
- purification of gas, in particular, ventilation exhausts, thereof, catalytic combustion of hydrocarbon fuel in combustion chambers of gas turbines, catalytic heat generators (CHG), etc.
2. Catalysts for low-temperature purification of air and gas exhausts from ozone.
3. Catalysts of pith type for purification of gas exhausts from organics of various classes and carbon monoxide.
4. Catalysts and devices for adsorption-catalytic purification of ventilation and gas exhausts from organic compounds.